Why a remix album from the most passionate and inventive
-- not to mention successful -- heavy rockers of the
past five years? ``We're writing our new record,'' Limp
Bizkit's Fred Durst explains. ``So this is something
you can put in your stereos and bump to until the new
album is out.''
``This'' is New Old Songs, 16 remixes of songs
from Limp Bizkit's three multi-platinum albums -- 1997's
Three Dollar Bill, Y'all, 1999's Significant Other
and last year's Chocolate Starfish and the Hot
Dog Flavored Water. And bump you will, as the group
invited a cast of cutting edge rock and hip-hop personalities
-- including the Neptunes, Timbaland,
P. Diddy, Garbage's Butch Vig, Gang Starr's
DJ Premier, William Orbit, Josh Abraham,
DJ Lethal and Fred Durst -- to get in
the pit and mess with their choice of Bizkit selections,
with no conditions other than the band had to like`em.
And that's not easy, according to Bizkit's DJ Lethal.
"Since it's rock, most of the songs are not to a certain
tempo, so when you remix you have to align the vocals
maybe sometimes word by word, sometimes sentence by
sentence. You have to break it up so it fits.''
Limp Bizkit didn't just sit back and let the tracks
roll in, mind you. Lethal took on three himself -- ``Break
Stuff,'' ``My Way'' and ``Counterfeit'' -- while Durst
teamed with producer Josh Abraham on a freshened treatment
of George Michael's ``Faith,'' adding Everlast to the
``The remixes are like brand new songs,'' Durst points
out, which is certainly the case with Timbaland's two
tracks, as he brings hot new hillbilly rapper Bubba
Sparxxx into a spaced-out rendition of ``Re-Arranged''
and E-40 and 8Ball into guitar-stocked ``Take a Look
Around.'' P. Diddy's take on ``My Way'' slides in a
bit of Madonna's ``Justify My Love,'' while the Neptunes
utilize a slice of Boogie Down Production's ``Jack of
Spades'' on ``N 2 Gether Now'' and turn in a new vision
of ``Nookie'' that Lethal calls ``ridiculous, super
The full track list for ``New Old Songs'' is:
1. " `Nookie' For the Nookie" -- remixed by The Neptunes
2. "Take a Look Around" (Theme from ``M:I-2'') -- remixed
by Timbaland, featuring E-40 and 8Ball
3. "Break Stuff" -- remixed by DJ Lethal
4. "My Way -- The P. Diddy Remix" -- remixed by P. Diddy
5. "Crushed" -- remixed by Bosko
6. " `N 2 Gether Now' All in Together Now" -- remixed
by The Neptunes, featuring Method Man
7. "Re-Arranged" -- remixed by Timbaland, featuring
8. "Getcha Groove On" (Dirt Road Remix) -- remixed by
DJ Premier, featuring Xzibit
9. "Faith" -- remixed by Fred Durst and Josh Abraham,
10. "My Way" -- remixed by DJ Lethal
11. "Nookie -- Androids vs. Las Putas Remix" -- remixed
by Butch Vig
12. "Counterfeit -- Lethal Dose Extreme Guitar Mix"
-- remixed by DJ Lethal
13. "Rollin' " -- remixed by DJ Monk vs. the Track Monk
14. "My Way -- DJ Premier Way Remix" -- remixed by DJ
15. "My Way" -- remix by William Orbit
16. "My Way -- Pistols Dancehall Dub" -- remix by Barry
Ashworth and Jason O'Bryan for Dub Pistols Productions
Below, Crud has got hold of an an exclusive video medley
of the 'Faith/Fame' (Remix, feat. Everlast), 'Nookie'
(Neptune Remix), 'Re-Arranged' (Timbaland Remix) and
'Nookie' (Androids vs Las Putas Remix).
There's also three audio clips, 'Take A Look Around'
(Timbaland Remix), 'Break Stuff' (DJ Lethal Remix) and
'My Way' (P Diddy Remix). Doo-wah indeed.
A Look Around
2 Gether Now
TRY THE GAME! [FLASH 5]
site - www.limpbizkit.com
Crud Magazine© 2001